Northern Lights By Boat with a Backup Plan from Reykjavik Old Harbour
Sailing out from Reykjavik in search for the Northern Lights is a unique experience, not to be missed!
There are many benefits of booking Northern Lights by Boat with a Backup Plan. It costs less than the regular tour, so if the boat tour sails as scheduled then you simply paid less for your ticket. In case of cancellation due to unfavourable conditions, your evening of Auroras at Whales of Iceland has already been booked so you have a guaranteed place. You also get to keep your ticket for the boat tour, to be booked for the next available night.
It only takes us about 15-20 minutes to sail into the dark, away from the city lights, to a perfect location for viewing the northern lights and the magical starry sky. Enjoy the peace and quiet out in the bay on a Northern Lights cruise.
An expert guide will explain the scientific facts about this natural phenomenon, share stories and myths from different cultures and answer any questions you might have during the tour. It is never guaranteed that the lights will show on the night – however, if you don’t see them you get a complimentary ticket to try again.
Our boats are spacious with warm indoor seating areas, an on-board bar and plenty of space for everyone outside on deck to gaze into the night sky. We will provide you with free usage of warm overalls to keep you warm and cosy on the winter nights.
The Backup Plan
AURORAS @ WHALES OF ICELAND!
Unfortunately, the weather in Iceland does not always cooperate, so in case of cancellation we have a backup plan ready for you! If the conditions to view Northern Lights are poor, we have a guarantee adventure already prepared called Auroras at Whales of Iceland!
Auroras at Whales of Iceland is a Northern Lights themed visit to the spectacular museum Whales of Iceland, very close to the Old Reykjavik Harbour. The visit includes a guided tour of the 23 life-sized models of all whale species found around Iceland and our BRAND NEW 25 min. Northern Lights documentary. The documentary features beautiful footage, facts, myths and stories about the Northern Lights and is displayed on an 8-meter long screen beneath a life-size fin whale model. After the film you have a chance to have a Q&A session with your guide and a complimentary drink of your choice is available at the bar.
- Operates from 1 September till 15 April @ 2100 except in September & 15 March till 15 April when it operates 2200
- Duration is between 1 hour 30 minutes and 3 hours 30 minutes
- Price Includes 2-3 hour Northern Lights by Boat tour for a lower cost, Experienced guide on every departure, Warm overalls (also available in children’s sizes!), Heated indoor seating areas and WC’s, snack bar & WiFi on board
- Guaranteed Backup Plan if the boat tour is cancelled on the evening you are scheduled!
- Meeting point is the Old Harbour in Reykjavik
- Hotel Pick Up is available for £14 per person
- The Backup Plan will always operate at 21:00 if the boat tour is cancelled. Check-in for the Backup Plan is at 20:45 if you have not selected hotel transfers. When you arrive for the Backup Plan, please let us know when you would like to schedule your Northern Lights by Boat tour.
- When buying this ticket, you are guaranteed a night of fun no matter what happens – this ticket is therefore non-refundable
- If you do not see the Northern Lights on your tour you get a complimentary ticket to try again on another night.
- If you go on the northern lights boat tour on the booked night your ticket is fully utilized and you are not entitled to a trip to the museum on other nights.
- If the northern lights boat tour is cancelled you will automatically be booked for the Auroras at Whales of Iceland experience and you then get to keep your ticket for the Northern Lights by Boat tour to be booked on another night.
- This tour has a 48 hour booking cut-off so book your tour early!
Child 7 - 15 Years £29.50
Child 1 - 6 Years Free