3* Frost & Fire Boutique Hotel - Hveragerði
Get off the grid at Frost & Fire, a boutique hotel nestled in the geothermal foothills above Hveragerði village on the banks of the Varmá river, only 40 minutes from Reykjavík you find yourself in Iceland’s otherworldly countryside, where steam rises from the hillsides and the Northern Lights dance overhead and you’re only steps away from the quaint village’s heart. With luxury amenities, an exceptional restaurant and some of the best geothermal swimming and bathing facilities in the area, guests are treated to an authentically Icelandic escape like none other.
Comfort and design come together at Frost & Fire Boutique Hotel, where every room has been thoughtfully appointed with an eye to Nordic design and the ability to fully enjoy the majestic views over the Varmá River, surrounding hot springs and Mount Reykjafall in the distance. All rooms, for example, have a private entrance so guests can enjoy the outdoor spa facilities whenever they’d like.
- Chef-made meals at Varmá restaurant offers à la carte dishes based on the slow food concept. It is decorated by Icelandic designers and offers river views. Local, organic farms provide many of the breakfast products.
- Guests of Frost & Fire enjoy a breakfast like none other in Varmá, the hotel’s legendary restaurant. Frost & Fire prides itself on putting together a breakfast spread that showcases some of the greatest hits from Iceland’s culinary past, present and future. The hverabrauð, or hot-spring bread, has been a local delicacy for centuries: a rich, moist rye bread cooked overnight in their very own ancient hot spring. Or try the choice smoked trout, a traditional Icelandic indulgence, from an exclusive supplier in North Iceland. And if you’d like to try your hand at geothermal cooking, guests are encouraged to boil their own eggs in the hot spring.
- Take a break in the black stone sauna outfitted with wooden benches. It’s the quintessential Nordic way to recharge your batteries for your next outing.
- There’s nothing like unwinding in the outdoor hot tubs after an exhilarating day of hiking and exploring. And with the tubs right by the riverside there’s always a commanding view to take in. Like all the swimming and bathing facilities, the hot tubs are warmed by geothermal water from the hotels own borehole. No matter the season, you will find a sense of quiet warmth and relaxation in the thermal waters. Soaking under the midnight sun when the landscape is at its most vibrant is unforgettable, but so is relishing the warm waters when snow covers the ground and the Northern Lights shimmer overhead.
- The warmed lap pool is 12 meters long and a great spot to take in the surrounding mountains. Like all the swimming and bathing facilities, the pool is warmed by geothermal water from the hotels own borehole.
- Free Wi-Fi
- The hotel is perched on the banks of the river Varmá (literally “warm river), one of the hotel’s most distinctive landmarks. Views of the river and is gentle current are one of the highlights of the hotel’s rooms and restaurant (which is named after the river). And although it is a remarkably beautiful river, it is also one of the few rivers in Iceland that visitors can bath in (that is, if you’re not looking to freeze your rear end off!). The river is fed by several nearby hot springs, some of which empty directly into the riverbed, which can reach around 18°C. It’s an extraordinary experience to wade out into the Varmá on a dark night and submerge yourself in the water’s warm embrace.
Comfort and design come together at Frost & Fire where rooms have been thoughtfully appointed with an eye to Nordic design and the ability to enjoy the majestic views over the Varmá river, surrounding hot springs and Mount Reykjafjall in the distance. All rooms, for example, have a private entrance so guests can enjoy the outdoor spa facilities whenever they’d like. All rooms are en suite and include satellite television, complimentary WiFi and access to the hotel’s leisure facilities.Price is based on 2 sharing on our cheapest departure dates and includes return flight, hand baggage and 3 nights Bed & Breakfast.